Monday, January 7, 2008

This beginning


I have always wanted to be a writer. I filled notebooks with love and loss, almost always with some heartachy tragic ending, since I was 13. I still keep them and even read them sometimes, which brings me back to that old yearning. Now my goal is different. I want to remember what I have right now. I want to document these crazy, beautiful times before they too soon turn into yesterday's stuff. I have 5 children. One is grown, one is nearly so, and three still have eyes for only me (and their dad). Having my boys grown up so fast, I know how short this is...this Mommy time. I will always be their Mom, but Mommy is such a brief bright light..if you don't stop and pay attention, you will miss it....
I don't want to miss a thing.
I will fill this blog with the good stuff, and the not so good stuff. And I will admit it: it is for my kids, for my mom, for my family, for anyone that wants to see that they are not alone in the quagmire (though lovely it is) of motherhood. But mostly, it is for me. Because life can get in the way. And I don't want to forget that Emma, just 3, is barely holding on to that glorious curl at the base of her neck from her babyhood; that Julia, 5, sings upon waking and has a maniacal and contagious giggle; that Laura, 7, frightens me both with her beauty and the speed at which she is maturing; that Chris, 17, was only mine for so long that having him living out of the house nearly kills me with loss; that Chase, 20, is still just as loving and gentle with me when he's around that it nearly breaks my heart and want to turn back time to do it over, to do it right.

So here we go.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Leslie, you are such a wonderful writer. I am looking forward to this fun venture you are starting. I guess if you aren't going to attempt the Great American Novel this will be a good outlet!
Love you,
Mom

Joe L. said...

You go, Leslie! You are a great writer, so show it off!!!
When are you gonna get the monster in the attic book published?? :)

Susan said...

This story I haven't read. It must have made an impression on Joe though! I never considered a monster in my attic but I did think someone lived up there. It must be so because my big brother told me it was!

Leslie said...

Hahaha! Joe! Can you believe I still have that?! "When the Clock Strikes Midnight". HAHAHA!!! That's hilarious that you remember that. Mom, the story was based on that creepy attic door in my closet on Nyetimber. It BOTHERED me.